Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I see dead people.....

Yesterday I got to go to cadaver lab.  I had never been before so I didn't quite know what to expect.  I had heard that the smell of formaldehyde was horrible.  I had visions of cadavers that would leave me screaming for the door!

Well - it was none of that.  In fact, it was quite interesting.  I got to do and see things that I never would have seen had it not been for cadaver lab.

I got to see the structures, up close and personal, of the airway.  I also got to feel them.  I now have a better idea of what I'm doing as an EMT.

They let me intubate, insert a chest tube, do a surgical airway, insert an IO IV (IV into the bone), do a needle chest decompression and a whole lot more.

I am looking forward to more cadaver labs in the future.  I'm also going to see if I can set up observing an autopsy.  I'm sure I'd learn a LOT there!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

omg..are you going CSI on me???LoL..I love you Bethy and can't tell you enough how proud of you I am about you following your passion!